News

Crafter Search Now Available!

http://www.theguildsin.com/search/

The search functionality will be growing as we go forward. For now you can find guilds and crafters. Type in an item and it will show you anyone on guild launch who can make it. Select the checkbox for your server and it will show you anyone on your server who can craft it.

Can you add the search as a link off the main menu? Would be much easier to get to that way.

EDIT: Also, while running some searches, it seems to find what I searched for and displays it first (or close to first) in the list; however, it also includes a ton of stuff afterwards that did not fit the search terms (or at least did not seem to). For example, when I search for "Silver Spellthread" it gives results (after clicking on "more") for Lion's Strength Potions. Also, the check boxes to search just in Strength in Numbers gives results for all guilds on all servers.

Aberene wrote:
Can you add the search as a link off the main menu? Would be much easier to get to that way.

EDIT: Also, while running some searches, it seems to find what I searched for and displays it first (or close to first) in the list; however, it also includes a ton of stuff afterwards that did not fit the search terms (or at least did not seem to). For example, when I search for "Silver Spellthread" it gives results (after clicking on "more") for Lion's Strength Potions. Also, the check boxes to search just in Strength in Numbers gives results for all guilds on all servers.

The search functionality is ordered by relevancy. We intentionally made it a touch fuzzy so that it would return the low relevancy results if *there were no* high relevancy results. The results you are seeing are correct... just very low relevancy. It was a design decision that we hoped would lead to people browsing the data a little bit, but has the disadvantage of maybe being a bit unexpected. You can make something required and not fuzzy by placing a "+" in front of the term, so +"Strength in Numbers" will not return the low relevancy results.

As far as the checkbox for just Strength In Numbers, can you give me an example of a search you paired with that? And are you referring to guild return values?

An example would be searching for Silver Spellthread. Checking the box for Strength in Numbers (which in my mind would only search our guild) returned the following results in this order:

Aberene
Silver Spellthread
Tagged As: Tailoring,Consumable
World of Warcraft, US - Nathrezim
Member Of: Strength In Numbers
Horde Tauren Druid

Furiizaa
Mystic Spellthread
World of Warcraft, US - Nathrezim
Member Of: Strength In Numbers
Horde Troll Mage

Catholicat
Silver Spellthread
World of Warcraft, US - Lethon
Member Of: Unguilded
Alliance Night Elf Druid

Gred
Silver Spellthread
World of Warcraft, US - Aman'thul
Member Of: Mystic
Alliance Human Mage

Jeis
Silver Spellthread
World of Warcraft, US - Garithos
Member Of: Vengeance
Alliance Human Warlock

Now, the first two are definitely from our guild. The rest are from other servers entirely. Not sure if this is what you were referring to with your statement that you made the results fuzzy to accomodate low relevancy results.

Yes, that is what I meant. The most relevant peopel showed up first. It's much like a Google search, except it looks a bit "off" when the dataset is smaller. If there were a 3rd person who could make that item in SiN they would always show up before the other people.

Ok that makes a little more sense now. From past experiences, when you are faced with options to limit the data returned it just stopped once the criteria was met, so if Strength in Numbers was checked, it would only return Strength in Numbers information that matched the search criteria. This is where my questions were coming from. Happy

It all works really well, thanks Tiq!

this is one of these "Non techies won't understand" so we have to make a decision to go one way or the other. You see the checkbox behaves just like you typed

SomeItem GuildName

In order to do a limiting search you would have to type

SomeItem +GuildName

so we wanted the checkbox to behave as if you typed in the same thing oyu see on the label... but then that is confusing the users cause they appaently could give a fuck, and so few will type it in that the percentage who notice the first *actual anomaly* and say anything is much less then the few who will experience the *perceived anomaly* and gripe.... anyway, we might change it.

Chat
You must be logged in to chat.
No FB Yes FB Hand (smaller) Lap 40.063em Desk 64.063em Wall 90.063em